Social Security Number (SIN)

You must have a social insurance number before you are allowed to work in Canada. To obtain a SIN, you need two pieces of identification for example birth certificate, passport or driving licence. You must go to a Service Canada Centre office and apply in writing.

Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)

For new permanent residents, there is no need to apply to IRCC for a permanent resident card as this will be mailed to your Canadian address on your arrival. However, if you have not provided an address in Canada, you need to apply using the IRCC online tool within 180 days of landing.

Work In Canada:

Labour Market Information Centres:

They provide information about career planning, occupations, the labour market and future trends. They are a full-service information centre for all work- related matters and they can also assist you with resume writing and tips for job searches and preparation for job interviews.

Employment Standards:

Employment standards are the minimum standards of employment for employers and employees in the workplace. They are standards for:

  • payment of earning
  • hours of work, rest periods and days of rest
  • overtime and overtime payment
  • vacations and vacation time
  • general holidays and general holiday pay
  • maternity and parental leave
  • termination of employment
  • employment of people under 18 years of age.

Workplace Health and Safety:

Workplace health and safety deals with the damage and potential hazards that could affect your health or safety while you are working. There are laws to ensure that workplaces are safe. Under the law, employers must take the proper steps to ensure that their workplaces are free of dangers and hazards. As an employee, you are also expected to help make your workplace safe.

Human Rights:

If employers discriminate against employees, then employees can file a complaint with the provincial human rights commission. Application must be filed to the commission within one year of the incident occurrence. 

Health Care In Canada:

Provincial Health Card:

All Canadian citizens and permanent residents may apply for public health insurance. When you have it, you do not pay for most health-care services as health care is paid for through taxes. When you use public health care services you must show your health card to the hospital or medical clinic. Each province and territory has their own health insurance plan, but basically all provinces and territories will provide free emergency medical services, even if you do not have a government health card. Note, if you go to a walk-in clinic in a province or territory you do not officially reside, then you might be charged medical fees.

Family Benefits:

Information about benefits to help your family with the costs of raising children, including benefits for raising a child with disability.

Driving in Canada:

Driving Licences:

To legally drive in Canada, you will need a driver's licence. In Canada, provincial and territorial governments issue driver's licences. With a licence you can drive anywhere in Canada, but you must carry your driver's licence with you whenever you are driving. If you have a valid licence from your home country, you will probably be able to use this to drive in Canada for a short period after you arrive, but you need to find if this is applicable to your home country. Visit your local registry for more information.

The process of getting a driver's licence in Canada depends on the province or territory in which you live and on your driving background. You may need to pass a written exam on the rules of the road and also pass the driving test, you may choose to pay for driving lessons to prepare for the driving test.

Education in Canada:

In Canada, parents have the primary responsibility for educating their children. To assist them, provincial and territorial governments administer and regulate educational systems. There is no federal department of education and no national system of education. Instead, each province and territory has its own system of education. The educational systems are generally similar across Canada with some variations between province and territories. You may also opt for private education for your children and some religious bodies provide education for those who can afford to pay for it. 

Canada Job Websites:



Aircraft Maintenance




Information Technology

Job Bank

Oil and Gas